Pure Motivation

To Motivate

Our Brothers and Sisters Only Groups have now been made private. If you wish to join you must click on the usergroup link and apply.
Top posters
zaharah (1191)

dangata (623)

sister harb (538)

nazleen (506)

Aisha (368)

EbonyRose (352)

Full of hopes (172)

Mila (144)

Tabu (108)

sadiq (97)

Latest topics
» Tawheed In Summary.
Yesterday at 2:14 pm by Abu Zainab

» Inspiration For Excellent Action.
Yesterday at 1:52 pm by Abu Zainab

» Welcome to the Daily Grind where you can unwind
Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:12 pm by sister harb

» Remembering Death.
Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:37 am by Abu Zainab

»  Just A Minute !!
Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 pm by Abu Zainab

» His Heart Never Sleeps.
Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Of Scrupulousness and Little Laughter.
Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:55 pm by Abu Zainab

» Do You Know The Qur'an?
Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Signs Of The Sweetness Of Imaan.
Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:03 pm by Abu Zainab

» Seeking The Beloved.
Fri Jul 01, 2016 5:48 pm by Abu Zainab

» Mind That Food and Drink.
Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:18 pm by Abu Zainab

» ALLAH: The Supreme Name.
Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:02 pm by Abu Zainab

» Tawbah is Obligatory.
Thu May 12, 2016 11:42 am by Abu Zainab

» Cookie Pizza
Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:07 am by sister harb

» Prophethood As A Circle.
Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:05 am by Abu Zainab

» Benefit of Turmeric
Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:22 pm by zaharah

» Banana milkshake
Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:15 pm by zaharah

» Never give up on your Deen
Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:02 pm by Admin

» So Comforting!!
Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:10 pm by Abu Zainab

» Absolute Existence Of Allah and Our Non-Existence.
Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:41 am by Abu Zainab

» Consider These Ahadith..
Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:21 am by Abu Zainab

»  Shaykh Abu Hamid al-Ghazali's Counsel.
Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:18 am by Abu Zainab

» The Sunnah In Crying.
Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:01 pm by Abu Zainab

»  And Muhammad is His Messenger.
Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:49 pm by Abu Zainab

» Guest Book/الترحيب بالضيوف
Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:34 pm by sister harb

» Afghan Sweets
Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:22 pm by sister harb

» Homemade Chocolate & Coconut Bars
Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:21 pm by sister harb

» Bengali Coconut Ladoos
Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:19 pm by sister harb

» Almond Toffee
Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:18 pm by sister harb

» Dont Abandon The Quran | Nouman Ali Khan | illustrated
Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:45 pm by sadiq

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pure Motivation » General Discussion » Living Room/ المنتدى العام » Yawning and Sneezing

Yawning and Sneezing

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Yawning and Sneezing on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Aisha

A yawn is a reflex of simultaneous inhalation of air and stretching of the eardrums, followed by exhalation of breath.

'Sneezing' & 'Yawning' … Good & Evil?

The following hadith was sent to me over email and seems a little confusing to me. It implies that yawning is an unnatural thing which Allah does not like. I was wondering on the authenticity or background to this hadith so that I may be clearer on it:

Narrated by Abu Huraira (Radhiallahoanho) : The Prophet (sallallaahu 'alaihi wasallam) said, "Allah loves sneezing but dislikes yawning; so if anyone of you sneezes and then praises Allah, every Muslim who hears him (praising Allah) has to say Tashmit to him. But as regards yawning, it is from Satan, so if one of you yawns, he should try his best to stop it, for when anyone of you yawns, Satan laughs at him." Bukhari Vol 8 : No. 245

The Prophet (PBUH) said:

"When you yawn, cover your mouth with your hand." (Muslim)

"Try as hard as possible to overcome your yawns while you are in your prayers". (Muslim)

"Allah likes the sneeze and dislikes the yawn. When someone amongst you makes a sound like "aah aah" while yawning, the shaitan (satan) laughs in his open mouth." (Tirmadhi)

"Allah likes the sneeze and dislikes the yawn. When someone among you sneezes and says: 'Alhamdulillah' (All praise to Allah [for relieving me]), it is essential for all those who hear him to say: "yarhamukallah" (May Allah have mercy on you). While if someone feels that he is about to yawn, he should try to overcome it, as much as possible [and if it is not possible to overcome it] he must not make sounds like: "haah haah". These sounds are prompted by the shaitan (satan) and he laughs when you make such sounds [while yawning]". (Tirmadhi)
These and a number of other narrations point to the fact that the Prophet (PBUH), in these words has actually taught an important etiquette to his companions. It seems that the narrators of the particular narration of Bukhari that you have referred to have missed out on an important part of the actual words of the Prophet (PBUH). What the Prophet (PBUH) actually condemned was not the natural phenomenon of yawning, but to yawn without covering one's mouth and to make sounds with such yawns. If this explanation is held to be correct, it would mean that the Prophet (PBUH) has actually taught us the following etiquette in this saying:

To control and overcome our tendency to yawn in our prayers and while sitting in company of others. This is primarily due to two reasons: Firstly, yawning is a sign of lethargy. Such lethargy, in prayers or in company of others depicts that a person is not fully interested and is not concentrating in what he is doing.
Secondly, such lethargy is prone to be contagious. It has been observed that when person in company of others, whether in prayers or otherwise, yawns, he prompts the others to do the same. Such a tendency greatly contributes in spoiling the atmosphere of the gathering.
In case it is not possible to overcome a yawn, then we should at least observe our social etiquette. We should cover our mouth and not make any lethargic sounds.

http://www.understanding-islam.com/rs/s-014.htm

2 Re: Yawning and Sneezing on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:33 pm

Mila

Salam Alaykum sis

I read somewhere you were suppose to cover your mouth so that shaytan want enter it but i found a site that had a list of explainations Very Happy

Recommended sunnah (sunnah mukadamah) to say alhamdulilah when sneezing

Shaytaan yawns and likes those who yawn like him

Yawning is a sign of laziness

One should cover their mouth with their hand when sneezing or yawning

If we are reciting the Quran, we should finish yawning and then continue reciting

Shaytan may try to enter the body of the one who yawns openly through his mouth

http://www.dhikrullah.com/blog/?p=346

Also i got this information from

THE STORY OF SATAN
As told to the Prophet
(May the blessing and peace of Allah be upon him)
In the name of Allah, the Merciful, the Compassionate.

"And if he defeats me in that, I tell him to crack his knuckles during the prayer, so that he becomes one of my worshipers as he prays. And if he defeats me in that I blow into his nose until he yawns while he prays, and if he does not put his hand over his mouth the devil enters his stomach, making him increasingly greedy for and fond of things of the world, and attentive and submissive to me."

If you want to read the entire article it is posted here.
http://puremotivation.your-talk.com/islam-f5/the-story-of-shaytan-t278.htm#903

3 Re: Yawning and Sneezing on Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:01 pm

zaharah

Assalimu Alaikum sister Aisha and sister Mila,
Sister Aisha this is a strong post, mashallah.
I to read somewhere that when we yawn shatan blows into the nostrils. And that is is better for us to cover our mouths if we do yawn. I was reading an article one day talking about yawn and guess what Question the moment i yawned, the article said "are your yawning yet" I was affraid

Allah help us thank ladies for this post
Z

4 Re: Yawning and Sneezing on Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 pm

EbonyRose

Secondly, such lethargy is prone to be contagious. It has been observed that when person in company of others, whether in prayers or otherwise, yawns, he prompts the others to do the same. Such a tendency greatly contributes in spoiling the atmosphere of the gathering.

OMG this is so TRUE. Very contagious indeed

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum